Friday, January 4, 2013

Living Shampoo Free


Yes that’s right, 9 months shampoo and hair product free. No I don’t have dreads and I have nice, clean hair! Missionaries and world travelers rejoice! Evan has also been shampoo free for about 2 years. I don’t usually post this kind of stuff but I have people ask me about it so thought I would share. I read several blogs and tried several ways but this is the routine I have found to be the best, even in a variety of climates and cultures. I use a mixture of baking soda and water to clean my hair and an apple cider vinegar rinse to condition about twice a week. At first I used a small amount of baking soda mixed with water in a small cup. It would be almost paste like and apply it to the top and crown of my head. Some people do this once a week or less, some people completely stop using this. I started using this recipe to make a batch that I keep in a bottle and find that my hair is great doing this twice a week. I’m much happier with the texture and look of my hair with this routine. I don't remember now which site I got my recipes on but here is the baking soda mix: www.inashoe.com/2009/10/shampoo-update-7-months-counting/ Here are a couple of other blogs that I found really helpful and informative in the decision and process.

www.fulfilledhomemaking.com/no-poo-shampoo

www.thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to-quit-shampoo-without-becoming-disgusting

www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative Here is the recipe I use for Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: 3/4 cup water 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 2 T. aloe vera gel (I have never included this) 1 T. honey 8 drops peppermint oil 8 drops tea tree oil. Combine all ingredients and shake well. After cleansing, pour all over scalp and hair. Allow it to sit for a few minutes.

It does take a while for your hair to adjust, but don’t let it stop you. It took about 5 or 6 weeks for me; just plan on a lot of ponytails, braids, and headbands for a while. You have a lot of extra oil when you use products because shampoo strips your hair of natural oils. It over compensates. Expect a lot of oil as your hair adjusts to its natural production. In the mean time, use the baking soda to cleanse the oil. When I came back to the States to summer heat and humidity of South Carolina it had to adjust again. But I was using less than twice a week and didn’t use the vinegar rinse. When I went back to the vinegar rinse it makes a big difference. I am convinced the apple cider vinegar rinse is the key to having good hair with this routine. Feel free to ask questions but these blogs have a lot of answers to a lot of specific questions! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment